Lighting Your Pumpkin

There are several ways to light your pumpkin some are traditional and some are modern. Here are a few tips for lighting up your jack-o'-lantern this Halloween :

Candles
Candles are the old and traditional way of illuminating Jack O' Lanterns. When using a candle, cut a hole on the upper, back part of the pumpkin. The hole will work as a chimney by allowing the candle's heat to escape. Regular Votive candles, placed in clear glass candle holders are safer, brighter and will last a lot longer than exposed candles. If  you use candles to light your pumpkins, remember to never leave a lit candle unsupervised. Never use a lit candle in an artificial pumpkin.
If you create an opening from the bottom of the pumpkin instead of the top, attach the light source to the bottom lid and place the pumpkin over it. Try drilling a hole to secure the candle. This provides a little more stability, safety and balances the flickering effect. Create the smell of Halloween spice. Just sprinkle a little cinnamon or nutmeg and pumpkin spice on the bottom of the pumpkin lid. Once the pumpkin is lit, it will create a wonderful seasonal scent.

Pumpkin Lights A Modern Way To Light Your Pumpkins
For a multicolor display, use a battery-operated light with LED bulbs. If you want the traditional looks of a flickering candle, but not the hazard of a real flame, these lights are for you! There is also the "Amazing Rainbow Pumpkin Light". It gives a really cool special effect where the light emitted changes between seven different colors.
While old-style battery operated lights simply flashed on and off and didn't seem to last more than a couple of hours, these lights will run over 72 Hours on one set of AAA batteries, or they can be powered by an optional AC adapter. This light is suitable for any size pumpkin it will fit in


.

Glow Sticks
Another option for illuminating your pumpkins is to use one or more glow sticks placed inside the pumpkin. This is probably the safest way to light a Jack O' Lantern, most glow sticks you find for sale in stores are not very bright. There are high intensity glow sticks, but they don't produce light as long and are expensive. If you do use this method you'll want to place your Jack O' Lantern in a very dark area, so that you can see the light being emitted from the glow stick.








Halloween Safety
Never, use an AC powered device to light your pumpkin. Its just too dangerous, particularly with so many safe lighting options available. Remember, any fire, no matter how small or protected has the potential for becoming a large and potentially disastrous one. Fire safety should always be the number one priority. Never leave a lit candle unsupervised. Never leave children unattended with a lit pumpkin, candles or other source of fire.
Have one or more fire extinguishers readily available and see that everyone in your household knows how to use them. Make sure your home has plenty of smoke detectors, that they are properly installed and they all have fresh batteries.
Leave me a comment and  tell us what you think.

0 comments: